Reducing Our Environmental Impact
The team at Windermere Lake Cruises is mindful that we share this beautiful landscape and environment with animals, trees and plants that were here long before us; and therefore recognise that we have a responsibility to manage the environmental impacts of our activities and services.
Windermere Lake Cruises operate several vessels on Windermere, from our headquarters and workshops in Bowness. We also have smaller offices at Lakeside and Waterhead near Ambleside. We operate a ship repair yard with workshops at Lakeside and a boathouse with repair facilities at Waterhead and run three cafes - two in Bowness and one in Ambleside.
Therefore we aim to promote good environmental practice by maintaining the goals stated below to the highest possible standards:
- To develop suitable objectives, targets and management programmes, applying appropriate operational procedures to minimise our significant environmental impacts during normal and abnormal conditions.
- To identify the significant environmental impacts of our activities.
- To comply with relevent legislation, regulation and other requirements relating to our significant environmental impacts.
- To prevent pollution and effluents to waters, sewers and wastes to disposable facilities.
- Endeavouring to re-use, recover or recycle materials wherever practicable.
- To ensure that suppliers and contractors understand and respect the company policy whilst working with Windermere Lake Cruises.
- To communicate, co-operate and respond to the views of interested parties, including stakeholders, customers and general public, on environmental issues, where this is practicable and likely to result in an overall improved environmental performance.
- To strive for continual improvement in overall environmental performance.