Reducing Our Environmental Impact
Windermere Lake Cruises Limited operate a number of vessels on Lake Windermere. Our main office being based at Bowness and smaller offices at Lakeside and Waterhead near Ambleside. We also operate a ship repair yard with workshops at Lakeside and a boathouse with repair facilities at Waterhead. We have workshops at Bowness and at the Heaning on the outskirts of Bowness, The company also run three cafe’s - two in Bowness and one in Ambleside.
We at Windermere Lake Cruises recognise that we have a responsibility to manage the environmental impacts of our activities and services. Therefore we aim to promote good environmental practice by maintaining the goals stated below to the highest standard possible.
- To identify the significant environmental impacts of our activities.
- To develop suitable objectives, targets and management programmes, applying appropriate operational procedures to minimise our significant environmental impacts during normal and abnormal conditions.
- To comply with relevent legislation, regulation and other requirements relating to our significant environmental impacts.
- To prevent pollution and effluents to waters, sewers and wastes to disposable facilities.
- Endeavouring to re-use, recover or recycle materials wherever practicable.
- To ensure that suppliers and contractors understand and respect the company policy whilst working with Windermere Lake Cruises.
- To communicate, co-operate and respond to the views of interested parties, including stakeholders, customers and general public, on environmental issues, where this is practicable and likely to result in an overall improved environmental performance.
- To strive for continual improvement in overall environmental performance.
In 2015-2016, we were awarded the Gold Standard (currently the highest standard) by CBEN for our work in minimising our impact on the environment. To find out more about the CBEN , please visit their website.